Since my surgery, my boyfriend has been doing a lot of the cooking and grocery shopping. I really appreciated it. To thank him, I wanted to make a special treat. He had said he had been craving pizza so that’s what I decided to make. My Grandma gave me this Gluten Free cook book a couple of Christmases ago. I’ve been meaning to try to pizza in it since! Stars aligned to combine these two interests in the form of one stellar pizza!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3 cups of GF flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons yeast
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- additional oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I skipped these last 2 ingredients)
- Combine flaxseed meal and hot water to make a froth and set aside
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl
- Combine yeast, olive oil, sugar and warm water in a medium bowl- set aside for 3 minutes
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour and mix
- Add the flax mixture to the flour and yeast mixture- stir and stir and stir some more– 5 to 7 minutes
- Let the dough rise for an hour
- Preheat oven to 450 (230 C)
- Roll out the dough and garnish with your chosen toppings. I went with pesto, cheese, caramelized onions, kale leaves and chives.
- Cook the pizza for 16 minutes. The crust should be cooked and the cheese should be melted
I topped our pizza with homemade pesto, caramelized onions, lots of cheese, and some kale leaves. It was fantastic! The crust was light, fluffy and bready. I’m looking forward to importing some more GF flour in April so I can make more!