Living abroad, it can be hard to recognize the holidays with due spirit and cheer. We had a <late> Thanksgiving party last weekend- much later for the Canadians’ Thanksgiving than for our American Thanksgiving. We still wanted to come together to recognize our friendships and our local family. When the potluck sign-up went up, I knew right away I wanted to do a dessert. I love dessert the most. Since I’m gluten free though, I didn’t want to cook with flour and I didn’t want to share my precious gluten free flour with everyone (since they don’t need it or treasure it like me). So I decided on a dessert with no flour. It was a big hit too! It turned out very smooth- almost velvety. The strawberry syrup complimented the rich chocolate perfectly too.
In the morning of the party, we visited a famous local sight- U Bein Bridge- and then the market for strawberries and a bunch of fresh flowers.
Flourless Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate [113.4 grams]
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter [1 stick or 1/2 cup butter is equal to 4 ounces, or 113 grams]
- 3/4 cup sugar (¾ cup= 177 mL)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (118mL) plus additional for sprinkling if you opt against the strawberry syrup
Flourless Chocolate Cake Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C) and grease an 8” square pan
- Melt the chocolate and the butter together in a double boiler
- Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar until it is dissolved
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time
- Add final ½ cup of cocoa, stirring until just mixed
- Pour into greased pan
- Bake for 25 minutes, until there’s a thin crust on the top
Strawberry syrup Ingredients
- 1 cups strawbs
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
Strawberry Syrup Directions
- Remove the strawberries’ leaves and cut each into quarters or eighths depending on the size
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium high heat
- Once the sugar is dissolved, add the strawberries
- Stir regularly for 10 minutes
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the strawberries are soft and the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes
I hope you like this moist, delicate cake as much as we did!
The cake recipe originally came from Epicurious.